Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chicken casserole with Spinach and Gorgonzola

This is an experimental dish I tried out last night. Turned out really nice I must say. What I used was...

1 small free-range chicken, skinned
3 carrots, chopped
6 big chestnut mushrooms, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 chopped garlic cloves
1 birdeye chilli, seeds included
1/2 bag of fresh spinach
70g of Gorgonzola cheese
3 heaped tablespoons of Chicken Bovril
1.5l of boiling water
Salt, pepper and dried sage to season

After preparing the veggies I blended the chicken Bovril with the water and added the seasonings to it. I fried the onions, garlic and chilli in a little olive oil in a large non-stick pot until soft and light brown. I then added the stock and the skinned chicken. I added the rest of the chopped veggies (except the spinach) to the pot, placed the lid on and simmered on the stove for 1 hour and 10 mins. Alternatively you could place in a pre-heated oven at gas 5 for the same amount of time.
The chicken should be nicely cooked through at this stage. I removed the chicken from the pot onto a chopping board. Whilst stillsimmering on the stove I thoroughly mixed the Gorgonzola cheese into the stock untilfully dissolved. I washed the spinach and after adding it to the stock it wilted in nicely. I cut meself a leg and a nice piece of breast and placed the meat into a deep dish along with a large ladleful of the stock and veggies. Really delicious, the gorgonzola and chilli gives the stock a unique bite, almost addictive. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment